Wagner Cast Iron
The Wagner Manufacturing Company
In 1891 two brothers, Milton M. and Bernard P. Wagner entered into a partnership and formed the Wagner Manufacturing Company in Sidney, Ohio. Around 1897 they purchased the Sidney Hollow Ware Foundry and another brother, William H. Wagner joined the firm and was put in charge of that foundry to produce a second line of skillets to sell to jobbers and distributors. In 1903, they sold the Sidney Hollow Ware Foundry and brought William H. into the partnership and shortly thereafter, another brother, Louis Wagner also joined the company.
In 1892, Wagner started using nickel plating on their hollow ware and added aluminum ware to their line in 1894. By 1913, Wagner had grown from about 20 employees, in 1891, to approximately 300 and become known worldwide for their aluminum ware and utensils. Wagner produced such a wide range of products; it would be quite lengthy to name them all.
In 1953, the Randall Company of Cincinnati, Ohio purchased Wagner and in 1957 the Wagner Ware Division purchased the Griswold Cookware Line from McGraw Edison, which owned all the assets of the Griswold Manufacturing Company of Erie, Pennsylvania. In 1959, the Randall Company was acquired by Textron Incorporated of Providence, Rhode Island. In 1969, Textron sold the house ware line to General Housewares Corporation along with all the patent and trademark rights to both Wagner Ware and Griswold. General Housewares Corporation, to this day, produces cast iron and aluminum cookware under both the Wagner and Griswold names in the Wagner Factory.